The Temptation of Lady Amsterdam
Book and Lyrics by Greg Edwards, Music by Jonathan Breit
Lady Amsterdam and her father attempt to save their theatre from
the rapacious overtures of Mr. Tussaud-Ripley.
- LADY AMSTERDAM. A 1930s-style ingenue. She has a vivacity unmatched by
the Lindbergh baby.
- MR. AMSTERDAM. A theatrical purist with a tendency to drive audiences
away and/or into comas.
- MR. TUSSAUD-RIPLEY, 30s. A seductive huckster with his eye firmly on the
- THE WHORUS. Jezebel, Isabel, and Wasabel are a trio of 1930s Times
- Prospect Musical Theater Lab (New York, 2011)
Jonathan and I wrote this for the Prospect Musical Theatre Lab's "Souvenir
Stories" series. Our assignment: given a souvenir, create a ten-minute musical
. Our souvenir: an old box office sign advertising "All Seats $2.50."
Our thought: chorus of Times Square whores!
PS: Our contract with the
Prospect Theatre gives them the right to "pubic performances" of our work, so
we're currently adapting the songs for Jenna Jameson.